Recommended Reading

Google Search

Google
 
Charts courtesy of stockcharts.com

Friday, September 18, 2009

Options Expiry

Today is options espiry for September, so it's time to look at the progress (or lack of) that I have made as an options trader. My September 14 puts on XLF are going to expire worthless. I have October 106 puts that I bought this week (the first large postition I have taken) are down 25%. I may or may not be right about market direction in October, but my timing was not good, and I'm suffering the consequences.


These are the transactions since last months expiry. I had one profitable position, 95 calls on GLD, which had a small profit when I sold them, but as it turned out I made a good decision as they never went much higher. However, investopedia's simulated commissions ate most of the profit.

Among the lessons I have learned so far are: 1) Options are not "buy and forget" instruments. They make huge moves in a short time. 2) Setting stops for options is a lot harder than setting stops for stocks, which are not easy. You have to be willing to take much bigger losses. So far it's been a lot of fun trading them, thanks to the fact that it's monopoly money that I have been losing.

No comments:

Google Analytics