Recommended Reading

Google Search

Google
 
Charts courtesy of stockcharts.com

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Weekend Plan

I think I may have overestimated the problem with my hard drive yesterday: as I was working last night, I had few problems. The problem started  with my computer running sluggishly, which I thought was a software problem. Yesterday the POST reported a hard disk failure, which sent me into a near panic, but as the day wore on, I realized it wasn't as bad as I initially thought: the hard disk works, but apparently some of the sectors are hard to read. I have basically 3 options:

A) Leave is as it is: it is working, and as long as I have my data on an external hard disk, I can continue to work, if at a somewhat slower pace. This is the most viable option, but if the hard disk fails completely, which it will eventually, it is off the table. This is the option I have chosen for now.

B) New hard disk: this may be the best option except for one problem: it could mean as much as 3 days down time. Just physically replacing the disk will probably take a day, and trying to get the operating system on it will take an unknown amount of time because there are probably problems with it I don't even know about, so that could be a day or two. By the time I have it configured and ready to go, I could lose several days worth of data.

C) New computer: this may ultimately be the best solution, but I am not thrilled at the prospect of switching to Windows 8. This is the "last gasp" solution.

I am planning to do the normal weekend scans today, and they may actually only a little late. I am going to skip the leader charts this week, but should be doing the earnings charts tomorrow.

No comments:

Google Analytics